Sunday, October 26, 2008

fall's a ball

.
Whoa sorry I forgot to write anything for 2 weeks. I had midterms... 14 days in a row apparently...
But I'm back now and I'm promising Change.

Highlights of the last half month:



GRAND CANYON ROAD TRIP
The Thursday night after I last spoke with you we decided to go to the Grand Canyon for a night without sleeping. It was hands down the best 24 hours of my life... if you don't count the other times of my life that were better. But it was soooo fun. Kelsey/Christie/I picked up Robin and Melissa at 9:10 and we were off! ...but then we had to go back home because I forgot my phone and my shoes. BUT THEN at 9:26 we rolled off campus with a bag of chocolate almonds (Snack of Satan) and grapes and high spirits (feelings not drinks).

Here is what the 24 hours included:
  • Each of us driving until we fell asleep at the wheel, then rotating.
  • Me incessantly talking about the Date Farm that we would be passing and all the diverse foods they offered that were made out of dates. "Oh yeah, definitely, it's just a little bit farther..." It never even came. I've since looked it up and apparently there are multiple roads that lead into Arizona.
  • Face Blasting (heads out the sunroof at 90 mph (see photo))
  • Melissa waking up, asking me and Robin to turn off the air, falling back asleep, waking up 5 minutes later and saying "I hate to be the devil's advocate but could you turn the air on," and falling back asleep. She later recounted waking up, thinking that phrase made sense there, and then deciding to say it. That is completely the wrong usage of that phrase.
  • Many deep starlit life conversations and discussions regarding why we don't have boyfriends.
  • Arriving at the GC at 6:30, parking illegally, and sprinting to the lookout point because sunrise was set for 6:31. Barely made it... but it was so good.
  • Deliriously eating breakfast at a homey place and then taking a nap in nature. And by that I mean on a cliff next to the parking lot. We put down blankets and put some smooth jazz on my iHome. Every time I opened my eyes there was either a person taking a picture of us or there was a person (usually from Spain) lying down next to me. (see photo)
  • Me getting pulled over for driving over 100 mph. Wait that didn't even happen. Yes it did. No it didn't. Wait I forgot what we're talking about.
We hiked and looked at the canyon for awhile, hunted ridiculously intensely for Wolf Shirts at gift shops to no avail, ate pizza in town, watched the Williams High School Homecoming Parade, and then drove 8 hours back. It was very magical and adventurous and I loved it. We got back on campus at 9:26, exactly 1 day after we left.





we pulled over on the freeway



sunroof






left to right: Simon Cowell, me, Christie, Kelsey








FALL BREAK

This is a joke. Don't let 'them' trick you into thinking this is a break... it's just a Friday where they cancel the classes that I already don't have. But it's a great excuse to plan camping trips YA YA YA YA YA! We took a roommate trip to Cuyamaca and it was great. I am still an honarary girl scout, having graduated from the program after my senior year of high school, so I had lots of tips and tricks. One of these was "do not spray aerosol cans directly into flames" but I forgot to tell Kelsey so she tried to put Pam on the rooster pan when it was already in the fire. Summary: 10 foot inferno column. Her face was hilarious... partially because of the lack of eyebrows. But the pancakes did not stick so it was worth it. Loreal: Because You're Worth It. Wait that's not relevant here.

We did so much fun stuff... climbing trees, and hiking, and picking apples, and eating apples, and throwing apples in the lake because after you eat 12 you start hating them, and lying on picnic tables in the woods, and killing park rangers, and wearing plaid shirts. We made lots of food on the fire and tie dyed shirts in the pitch black dark and pooled our resources of sleeping bags to create UniBed (Christie and I were freezing all night because we got the edges... Kels I hope you enjoyed yourself)... then we watched Into The Wild in our tent. Well, the opening credits were viewed.

Halfway through our hike I ripped a huge 12 foot branch off a tree to use as a Gandalf Stick. Me and it looked so good together. Taylor had a similar one which actually wasnt cool at all and when she was hiking her stick got caught in a tree and she looked like a huge idiot. HA HA. I only fell once and I was last in line so I didnt even have to tell anyone. You would think the walking stick would've helped in a case like this, but it actually made it worse because it cut me. False Friend.


Apples


autotiming without telling anyone. mental music: walk like an egyptian


pier on the lake


on the hike. the definition of the phrase "amber waves of grain"... now i get it


using Gandalf Stick to knock apples out of the tree into a plaid shirt
(note: typically with sticks, the camera removes ten pounds. i swear it was more gnarled and intense than it looks here)




SAMEDI GRAS
This is the huge Halloween carnival festival situation that the school throws the Saturday before Halloween. There was a shockingly legitimate haunted house that they set up in the nursing building and there are tons of booths and games and food. At the end, Family Wagon (a Point Loma people band) played and we MOSHED SO HARD. There was crowd surfing at one point... on campus... APPLY NOW. Just kidding. But do it. Anyway I lost my phone. Then I found it on the ground and put it in my pocket. And then 15 minutes later the lead singer held it up and I had to do the walk of shame up there to retrieve it. I have no idea how it made its way to the stage, but I really need to invest in a chain for it.

Anyway Samedi Gras was so fun and not even lame. I should have taken more pictures of the event itself but here's what I've got. Tracy and I were Newsies. I've never even seen that movie but it seemed like a good idea.


Oh, this isn't Samedi Gras. That's us at Sushi Deli. This doesn't even belong here. I'm wearing that exact outfit right now though. I wore it at least once every day this weekend actually.


waldo, tigger, pirate, newsie, psychopath holding a cake who i dont even know


cuties


i think i see something of worth here.......


ohhhhhh yeahhhhh (slo mo really deep voice)


Family Wagon in the fog


SHOOT I just dropped my computer on the ground and busted it. I'm on Christie's computer right now because Blogspot auto-saves entries, but I practically threw it at the floor and now my screen is completely lime green and white and when I shake it it rattles. Hahahahha thats pretty funny I dropped it right after finishing my entry, such is the humor of the Lord. Except I may or may not be crying right now. Yeah so anyway.... uh, talk to you never.

Love,
Kristen (sob)
.